Welcome to the Petawawa Patriots player development page! This is for minor hockey coaches as a resource to kickoff the season. If you have your own plans, Awesome! Please share practice plans with support staff. Drills and coaching resources are at the bottom of this page.
Hockey player development lays the foundation for the future of the sport by nurturing talent and skill from a young age. It ensures that athletes progress technically, physically, and mentally, ultimately improving the overall competitiveness and quality of the game.
Thank you for contributing to their learning as a coach!
Age specific resources:
Individual Skills Development Videos
IIHF Drill Hub - Beginner
IIHF Drill Hub - Intermediate
IIHF Drill Hub - Advanced
Goaltender Practice plan 1.pdf
Goaltender practice plan 2.pdf
Goaltender practice plan 3.pdf
Goaltender practice plan 4.pdf
No Goalie? No problem!
- Players are opposite to each other with one stick upside down. X starts with puck
- X has to protect the puck from the player opposite to them while not taking a penalty
- Players aggressively fight for the puck. switch roles every 30-45 seconds
- Progression: player turns stick back around, introduce movement and more players 1 v 1 small area with a shot
Position before possession
"Get Open" Drill 1
2v2 or 3v3
- Players must pass to their player behind the goalie to go on offence.
- Players cannot forecheck player behind the net
- Players must move to cover other players and
- get open for a pass and quick shot!
"Get open" Drill 2
1v1 board battle down low
2v2 or 3v3 in zone
In zone players must pass to teammate down low in order to go on offense for a quick pass and shot. Rotate goalies.
Long Term Player Development
Coaching Resources & Downloads
Coach 1 - Intro to Coaching
Season Plan Template
Online Drill resources Apps
Ice Hockey Systems
HC Drill Hub
Explore and download more free resources at the link below!
hockey skill development resources downloads